Saturday, August 25, 2007

Once


My usual morning ritual- I wake up- I power up my laptop, check emails, turn on mtv/vh1 (whichever channel has the better music on). This morning- right before I was ready to head out for work- a haunting song came on. I was mesmerized- I started to wait around to re-read the credits. The credits came on and in a flash, the names- Falling Slowly- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova- Soundtrack to.... and the credits disappeared. On the Muni to work- I couldn't understand where i've heard that song before. I couldn't have been that familiar with it after only one listen. I immediately went on amazon, typed in a couple combos of Marketa's name but didn't hit on the right spelling- the next search word was 'Soundtrack' and behold- the soundtrack to the movie 'Once' and i found the song- the next search was to look where it was playing- or whether it was still even playing! Be still my heart it was playing at the Embarcadero. I was so excited!

It's been a while seen i've watched a movie and said- wow! What a beautiful movie. Whether it was short and sweet or dramatic or scary. This was one of them. It bordered on being MTV-esque with the typical boy meets girl story- but slowed down to a pace where it's more real. We all have a past that we haven't quite let go (scenes of watching old home videos of him and his girl). Decisions and responsibilities that we take care of that can't be relinquished for what ifs (family and love). The emotion you hear in their voices will evoke emotions and memories within yourself- it did for me.

When i got home- I still couldn't understand why i had this feeling of deja vu that i've heard a few of these songs- so I looked it up once more and found out Glen was the lead singer of 'The Frames' and he opened for Damien Rice during a performance i caught last year at The Paramount. Catching glimpses of Ireland also adds extra weight to my decision to visit Ireland next year. It does look charmingly beautiful. I could go on and on- but you should go on this beautiful ride yourself and catch this movie- or at least get the soundtrack. Oh! Did i mention The Frames is also touring- unfortunately their gig at GAMH on Sept 5th is sold out. If anyone has an extra ticket laying around- pick me!

Happy Weekend Loves!

No comments: