Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Trials and tribulations of travelling via BA

As great as British Airways is known to be, note that their fame stem from having great non-stop routes and sleeper seats. Not for having the best customer service. This European adventure of mine started out fine, super shuttle came on time- i was the only one on board and got promptly dropped off at the airport to find... a fairly long meandering line to check in BUT a fairly short line if you did an online check in earlier. Not having much patience in a slow line, i called my bud Rage up and he promptly offered to try to check me in while i was in line. And he did and saved me from more bitching and whining on this page. Alas, no window seats available (tip 1: Check-in online early! They allow you to start 24 hours before the journey). Belatedly i realized i left my black scarf on Super Shuttle but i took a couple of breaths and told myself to let it go. It was a cheopo anyways and not a Laura Piana.


Before take-off, i had my customary meal before going my "no-plane" food diet at Fireside Grill. It may look appetizing, but it was only alright. After lounging by the gate while entertaining myself with text messages to Rage, final boarding call was announced and off i went.


"May I have a glass of red wine please?" I said politely in proper English (not a british accent mind you, just proper school room English).

"Whiees?" he replied. My eyes mirrored my confusion, "Red!"

"Whiees?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Red or Whieees?"

Heh?- I silently thought. "RED PLEASE!"

An we're off to a not so great start of understanding British accents.


To tell you the truth- I think it was this particular air steward that bugged me. Ask me for details later and i'll tell you why. Next trial came from this lady who was sitting a seat after me. We shared a luxurius empty seat between us where i promptly took the extra pillow before she could. She was giving me looks and holding on to her handbag for dear life! Wonder whether she was just a distrustful person in general or i looked semi shady in my stripey H&M top. Anyways- i rolled my eyes and chanted the "W" mantra in my head. After watching The Holiday (no way in hell lives a great looking guy like Jude with a sensitive heart and have 2 of the most adorable kids), I leaned my head on the tip of the seat next to mine and promptly fell asleep.


Something woke me up shortly after, my foggy mind registered there was someone sitting right next to me and when the fog cleared up, another shocker was her head was right next to mine! Argh!! Eew!! Geez! Not only that- she started taking the left side of my arm rest. WTF. The empty seat is meant to be shared. And even so- no touching!!! She was crossing invisible lines and obviously did not know the rules of engagement. I took the extra pillow i comandeered earlier, put it between the both of us and gave her a gentle shove (not like that helped, but at least there was no touching).


Slowly drifting off to sleep again, I noticed that the lady had turned the other way and was now curled up on two of the seats. Phew! No more face to face time. BUT, her leg started inching past the armrest towards my side. This means WAR! I took my seat belt buckle and started poking her toes. Hah! Take that. Nothing much more to report after this except to say- not my greatest flight as i thought to myself silently while passing the sleeper business class to disembark.

No comments: